Powers and Duties of the Merit Board
In accordance with section 36d of the Act (110 ILCS 70/36d), the powers and duties
of the Merit Board are determined as follows:
- To approve a classification plan and delegate to its Executive Director the duty
of assigning positions to appropriate classes.
- To prescribe the duties of each class of positions.
- To prescribe the range of compensation for each class or to fix a single rate of
compensation for employees in a particular class.
- To approve ranges and rates for the payment of wages paid generally in the community
for work of a similar character.
- To recommend standards of hours of work, holidays, sick leave, overtime compensation
- To prescribe standards of examinations for each class, the examinations to be related
to the duties of such class.
- To authorize the continuous recruitment and to delegate to the Executive Director
and staff the power and duty to conduct open and continuous competitive examinations
for all classifications.
- To cause to be established from the results of examinations registers for each class
- To provide by its rules for promotions in the classified service.
- To provide by its rules for employment of physically handicapped persons.
- To make and publish rules, to carry out the purpose of the University System, and
for examination, appointment, transfer and removals to include layoffs.
- To appoint an Executive Director and such assistants and other clerical and technical
help as may be necessary to efficiently administer the Act.
- To submit to the Governor on or before November l of each year prior to the regular
session of the General Assembly a report of the University System’s business
and an estimate of the amount of appropriation from state funds required for the
purpose of administering the University System.
- To review transcripts of hearings and findings of fact as made by hearing boards
and enter decisions and orders in discharge and demotion proceedings.
For the complete text of the Power and Duties, scroll to
Section II. Powers and Duties of the Merit Board
in the Bylaws document.