As a key member of the University's editorial and design team, the Social Media Coordinator is responsible for managing social media channels and creating content for key publications, such as the alumni magazine, departmental communications pieces, and online platforms. This position consequently is crucial in contributing to the quality and consistency of ISU's external communications. The coordinator conveys the University's overall excellence and endeavors through compelling content and creative storytelling that engages external audiences, which include prospective students, parents, alumni, donors, retirees, and friends of the University.
1. Bachelor's degree or equivalent degree in marketing, business administration, communications, public relations, or a closely related field.*
2. At least one (1) year of full time (or part-time equivalent) experience managing social media and/or writing for a newspaper, magazine, news organization, or within higher education.
3. Thorough knowledge of Instagram, Facebook, TikTok, and Twitter. Working knowledge of LinkedIn, Snapchat, and YouTube.
4. Demonstrated experience using analytics to develop and evaluate online content.
5. Demonstrated experience using social media management tools such as TweetDeck.
*Note: Students in the final semester of a Bachelor’s or equivalent degree program, may be allowed to apply and will receive consideration for meeting qualification #1 (degree requirement). If an offer is extended it will be with the understanding that proof of degree (transcripts) based on institution is provided to the employing institution Human Resources Office at least two weeks before the proposed start date.
1. At least two years in full-time role creating social media content and writing for an online publication within higher education.
2. Skill with a phone for photography and video.
3. Ability to gather information through interviews and then write clear and concise features to engage targeted audiences.
4. Ability to connect with key audiences through online outlets.
5. Ability to work under deadline pressure and with a high degree of accuracy.
6. Working knowledge of The Associated Press Stylebook.
7. Ability to work with a committee structure and in partnership with multiple clients/offices on projects.
8. Ability to comfortably interact with individuals in the campus community and the general public.
9. Ability to stay up-to-date with trends in social media and to find creative ways to keep Illinois State University channels current with the online environment.
10. Experience editing video and creating motion graphics.
11. Experience creating and managing digital ad campaigns on social media channels.
12. Knowledge of Illinois State University, its history, and its traditions.
Commensurate with experience and qualifications
ISU Jobs Website
Illinois State University