The Circulation Desk Manager plays a crucial role in the day-to-day operations of one the busiest customer service areas in Milner Library. This position assists the Head of Access Services with the management and coordination of the activities that facilitate the circulation of Milner Library's materials and supports the maintenance of the circulation process. The Circulation Desk Manager plays a vital role in establishing and enforcing the library's policies and procedures. This position is the primary staff contact for all circulation-related patron issues and assists with the security of the building and its guests. Additionally, this position trains and supervises the 15-25 student employees and volunteers who work at the Circulation Desk.
1. High school graduation or equivalent
2. Any combination totaling 4 years from the following categories:
(a) work experience in a library or equivalent setting performing duties comparable to those
described in Level III of this series.
(b) college course work in any field as measured by the following conversion table or its
- 30 semester hours equals six months
- 60 semester hours or an Associate degree equals one year
- 90 semester hours equals two years
- 120 semester hours or a Bachelor's degree equals three years
- A Master's or higher degree equals four years
(Note: Only a maximum of 4 years credit for college course work is available.)
3. As required by the position to be filled, education, training, and/or work experience in the area of specialization inherent in the position may be required in meeting credential requirements #1 and #2 above.
Amounts of education or experience less than those listed above should be converted to decimal equivalents and added together when computing combinations of the different types
1. Working knowledge of all library policies and procedures.
2. Excellent patience, customer service skills, and communication skills for both internal and external clients.
3. Technological skills centering on Windows-based software applications and networking issues.
4. Ability to use the library and consortium's Primo online catalog, periodicals and serials directories, the I-Share Resource Sharing universal borrowing code, the Alma circulation module and offline circulation modules, and the Milner Library Circulation Policy Manual.
5. Ability to build and maintain excellent working relationships with other campus units to ensure the safety and welfare of the patrons of the library.
6. Great attention to detail.
7. Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment with frequent interruptions and distractions.
8. Excellent conflict-resolution skills.
9. The ability to quickly and easily learn new technologies, policies, and procedures.
$17.83 - $18.48 per hour
ISU Jobs Website
Illinois State University