Information Technology Technical Associate
Function of Job
These positions provide technical expertise and support for operating systems and equipment configurations. This includes the implementation and maintenance of operating systems and software components, providing assistance in the development and assessment of hardware and software components, recommending optimum equipment and software configurations, and providing technical guidance with regard to proper data processing methods, performance standards, security measures, and systems analysis.
Duties may include designing data processing systems and/or hardware configurations, developing system assessment and testing criteria, evaluating user needs, programming systems and subsystems, developing documentation to support any new systems or system modifications, and developing/monitoring security protocols. Also included may be some supervisory activities or team leader responsibilities for more complex projects and training of user groups or other IT staff.
* The specific area of information technology assigned is to be used to classify these positions. Examples of such types of service include Communication Services, Data Management, Network Services, Applications Development, Systems Programming and Web Services. An additional working title may also be used in conjunction with the classification (i.e. Systems Programmer, Network Engineer, Telecommunications Specialist, Applications Analyst, etc.)
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
A(n) Information Technology Technical Associate typically -
- General Technological Expertise
Responsible for providing technical expertise in designated area such as, computer programming, database administration, network administration, telecommunications, other designated specialty.
- Computer Programming
Analyzes, develops, tests, and/or modifies hardware and software solutions to meet user and/or systems integration requirements. Reviews, analyzes, and recommends the best approach and overall design for computer application development and programming projects for business, scientific, and research applications. Advises designated personnel concerning the magnitude of programming jobs, time requirements for programming, debugging, and testing. Installs new, modified or third party software releases and/or updates. Modifies existing software, and creates special-purpose software to ensure efficiency and integrity between systems and applications. Develops program specifications and reviews with the user to ensure that requirements are met. Designs user-friendly interfaces to systems, applications and databases. These functions are performed with traditional computer programming and/or web based programs.
- Database Administration
Implements database to optimize data access and security. Designs database systems and programs which include access methods, access time, file structure, device allocation, validation checks, and statistical methods. Monitors database standards and procedures, system usage and performance. Troubleshoots and resolves database and data problems. Monitors, analyzes, and verifies data to ensure data integrity; develops assigned databases to support specific applications. Maintains the database archives by acquiring and installing data sets and documentation. Assist in data transfers or sharing of files. Develops and monitors security protocols associated with restricted access systems.
- Network Administration
Designs, operates and maintains Local Area Network, including installation of computers and workstations on the network, installing hardware and software upgrades, maintaining and monitoring the system to provide optimal quality to the end-users. Conducts feasibility studies on communication systems and prepares specifications and flowcharts for implementing new programs or modification to vendor software. Designs fully integrated systems which may include applications, databases, networks, and related systems. Recommends modifications to third party software to meet user needs.
Designs, develops, and tests complex communications interface programs, which may include voice or data communication. Performs systems duties for a full range of communications network circuits and equipment such as complex testing and optimization, investigation of network breakdowns and malfunctions, and monitoring network performance data.
- Policy/Procedure Development
Prepares documentation to support area IT functions and provide user support for new or modified programs. Maintains and supports assigned systems with documented testing and development of procedures to ensure minimal downtime and loss of productivity and service. Evaluates and supplements vendor supplied documentation for third party software.
May supervise other staff or act as team leader on designated projects. Monitors the progress and direction of assigned tasks and makes corrections as needed. Determines training needs and provides training opportunities for staff.
- Additional Related Duties
Develops presentations on current and future plans or services. Makes product and vendor recommendations. Act as a software vendor liaison. Performs other related duties as assigned.
Minimum Acceptable Qualifications
CREDENTIALS TO BE VERIFIED BY PLACEMENT OFFICER
- Any combination totaling two (2) years from the following categories:
- progressively more responsible work experience in an Information Technology (IT) related profession
- college course work which included Information Technology (IT), IT Management, or a closely related discipline, as measured by the following conversion table or its proportional equivalent:
- 60 semester hours or Associate's Degree equals one (1) year
- 90-120 semester hours or Bachelor's Degree equals two (2) years
- Additional education, training, and/or work experience in an area of specialization inherent to the position may be required:
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSAs)
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
- Knowledge of the systems and operations used within the areas and departments of responsibility
- Ability to oversee and coordinate activities of user groups
- Ability to effectively communicate with other colleagues, supervisors, administrative staff, and other IT users
- Ability to identify and resolve technical problems
- Ability to effectively communicate and professionally interact with all staff levels