Child Care Assistant
Function of Job
To provide care for pre-school children in a child development and/or child care facility, working under direct supervision from staff members who are responsible for the planning and supervision of the activities of the children.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
A(n) Child Care Assistant typically -
- assists in the supervision of children during play to safeguard their health and safety.
- assists in providing for the physical needs of children (such as feeding, dressing, sleeping, washing, and other activities).
- supports child development staff in implementation of learning experiences provided for the children (such as preparing paints, helping children with their paint smocks, and labeling their art work).
- provides information about children and their progress to child development staff for incorporation into reports and records.
- assists in care and maintenance of classroom, equipment, supplies, and play yard.
- performs other related duties as assigned.
Minimum Acceptable Qualifications
CREDENTIALS TO BE VERIFIED BY PLACEMENT OFFICER
- possession of credentials required by Illinois Department of Children and Family Services for
employment as a Child Care Assistant
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSAs)
- physical examination as required by Illinois Child Care Act for employees in child care facilities
- personal attributes required by Illinois Department of Children and Family Services for all child care personnel