Function of Job
Employees in positions allocated to this classification are responsible for or participate in publicizing and promoting university-sponsored educational programming/public function/service events and may assist in liaison functions with members of media. Additional responsibilities may include assistance in purchasing or selling advertising space for university/agency events or publications.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
A(n) Publicity-Promotion Associate typically -
- recommends, implements and/or develops public relations strategies to inform the public; promotes educational programs ideas, products, or services of the university/agency;
- coordinates with Marketing and/or Communication staff to implement communication tactics with prospective students and applicants;
- prepares organizational publications and reports; develops or edits visual media or graphic elements of publications or web pages;
- develops, maintains, and manages web pages and social media presence on social networking sites; writes, edits, and manages social media related content; assists with maintenance of social media;
- plans and schedules programming and event coverage, coordinates promotional activities between departments and may oversee or supervise staff, student and/or volunteers associated with events or programs;
- responds to requests for information from the media or other constituencies, prepares information for media kits, talking points or similar information, develops and edits news releases, obtains photographs/images and prepares informational brochures for media outlets and similar publications;
- establishes or maintains cooperative relationships or liaison functions with representatives of community, employee or public interest groups; may act as a resource or distribute information during emergency situations;
- confers with clients to provide marketing or technical advice; maintains database of contact information;
- negotiates and purchases/ sells advertising, provides cost estimates, determines rates , acts as liaison regarding topics such as contracts, selection of advertising media, or products to be advertised;
- gathers and organizes information to plan advertising campaigns to increase sales of products, prepares advertising and promotional material, prepares scripts for radio or television advertising, may participate in analyzing advertising campaign results;
- coordinates or participates in promotional activities or trade shows, provides tours and assigns work space and other accommodations ; provides support in group ticket sales for events;
- prepares budgets and submits estimates for program costs;
- trains and/or supervises staff, students workers, extra help, and/or volunteers as needed;
- performs other related duties as assigned.
Minimum Acceptable Qualifications
CREDENTIALS TO BE VERIFIED BY PLACEMENT OFFICER
Bachelor’s degree in public relations, advertising, communications, or a related field.
- One (1) year (12 months) of professional work experience in communications, promotions, public relations, advertising, or event planning.
- Based on position requirements, additional education, training, and/or work experience in the area of specialization inherent to the position, may be required.
Note: Master’s Degree in an area consistent with the duties of the position may be substituted for one (1) year (12 months) of work experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSAs)
- Knowledge of media production, communication, and dissemination techniques.
- Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Knowledge of various media platforms including social media, and best practices.
- Knowledge of principles and methods for showing, promoting, and selling products and services. This includes marketing strategy and tactics, product demonstration, sales techniques, and sales control systems.
- Knowledge of public relations techniques and tactics.
- Knowledge of computer hardware and software, including applications and programming and for setting up functions, entering data or processing information.
- Knowledge professional applications of research and writing skills.
- Skill in public speaking and delivering presentations to individuals and groups.
- Skill in time management, organizing work assignments, and responding quickly and effectively to challenges.
- Ability to interpret, condense, and edit information for various media formats.
- Ability to establish long-range objectives and specify the strategies and actions to achieve them.