Information Technology Manager/Administrative Coordinator
Function of Job
These positions have the responsibility of managing specific groups of workers within an Information Technology (IT) area, department or division and act as a liaison to senior management. This includes defining projects, prioritizing activities, managing human resources, defining resource needs to the group for senior management, participating in the planning process and providing the resources for staff to accomplish assigned tasks. These positions also actively assist staff with projects and other activities at an operational level.
Duties may include assessing policy needs and developing policies to govern IT specific functions, along with providing policy guidance to IT management, staff and customers. Also included may be coordinating reviews of IT functions and processes to determine policy priorities, providing input for the development and maintenance of strategic plans, defining current and future business environments, providing input and/or preparing IT budgets, and identifying and addressing IT work force issues, such as, recruitment, retention, and training.
* The specific area of information technology to be managed or directed is to be used to classify these positions. Examples of such types of service include Communication Services, Customer Support, Data Management, Information Technology, Network Services, Applications Development, Systems Administration, Operations Support, and Web Services. An additional title identifier must also be used in conjunction with the classification (i.e., Computer Programming, Telecommunications, Networking, etc.)
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
A(n) Information Technology Manager/Administrative Coordinator typically -
- Technological Expertise
responsible for technical expertise in designated area such as:
- computer programming
- database administration
- network administration
- customer support and services
- other designated specialty
Defines the overall objectives of the area or department or division by interpreting the technology needs of the university
Develop policies and procedures related to functional area.
Provides input on the development and management of the budgeting process and allocates resources
Approves and provides the necessary resources for the completion of projects and tasks by assigned staff
Works with staff to determine resources needed to accomplish assigned tasks and to resolve related problems.
- Strategic Planning
Provides input and actively participates in the development and maintenance of strategic plans
Determines future operational needs.
Determines staffing needs
Assigns tasks to staff
Monitors the progress and direction of assigned tasks and makes corrections as needed
Determines training needs and provides training opportunities for staff.
- Customer Service
Defines the services provided by the area or department
Provides assistance and solutions in response to customer needs
Develops projects to meet the objectives defined by university/agency administration.
- Additional Related Duties
Develops presentations on current and future plans or services
Makes product and vendor recommendations
Performs other related duties as assigned.
Minimum Acceptable Qualifications
CREDENTIALS TO BE VERIFIED BY PLACEMENT OFFICER
- Any combination totaling six (6) years from the following categories:
- Two (2) years of total work experience in a supervisory or lead worker capacity in an IT environment.
- Additional education, training, and/or work experience in an area of specialization inherent to the position may be required:
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSAs)
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
- Knowledge of the systems and operations used within the areas and departments of responsibility
- Ability to oversee and coordinate activities of assigned staff
- Ability to effectively communicate with other colleagues, supervisors, administrative staff, and other campus/agency units
- Ability to identify and resolve technical and personnel problems
- Ability to effectively communicate and professionally interact with all staff levels