Spec. Code: 2015
Occ. Area: 15
Work Area: 171
Prom. Lines: 32, 96, 218,
219, 228, 313
Prob. Period: 6 mo.
Effective Date: 03/15/18
Last Action: Rev.
Function of Job
Under direct supervision from a designated supervisor, perform grounds maintenance or construction such as: planting, transplanting, fertilizing, spraying, watering, pruning, mowing lawns, turfs, and otherwise tending to lawns, turfs, trees, flowers, bushes, or other shrubbery, ornamental plants and snow removal.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
1. Repairs and/or maintains secondary roads, parking lots, sidewalks, driveways, signage, benches, fountains, planters, burial sites, and other grounds features. Also, maintains and repairs tools and equipment.
2. Assists in cultivating, transplanting, watering, maintaining, and removing shrubs, trees, and flowers when necessary.
3. Removes snow and ice from walks, stairs, ramps, driveways, and/or parking lots. Spreads salt, cinders, or sand in these areas as needed.
4. Mows and edges lawns and turfs using power mowers and edgers; cares for established lawns and turfs by mulching, aerating, weeding, grubbing, and removing thatch. Trims and edges around flower beds, walks, and walls.
5. Cleans streets, walks, drains, parking lots, porch areas, and other outdoor areas as requested. Empties trash receptacles, cleans outside around trash compactors, and collects all other rubbish left on campus grounds and in building entryways.
6. Operates power equipment and hand tools used in the performance of assigned duties.
7. Mixes and performs application of chemical fertilizers, pest control treatments, and herbicides as required with respect to other duties of the position.
8. Moves and stores furniture and heavy equipment, or special set ups for outside events.
9. Stores supplies, hauls trash, hauls dirt, boulders, or white rock, and sets up signs or barricades.
10. Performs other related duties as assigned.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
CREDENTIALS TO BE VERIFIED BY PLACEMENT OFFICER
1. High school graduation or equivalent.
2. Any one or any combination totaling six (6) months in the categories listed below:
A. work experience in grounds maintenance or grounds construction and/or tending to lawns, turfs, trees, flowers, bushes or other shrubbery, and ornamental plants
B. work experience in one of the following: landscape, nursery, agriculture or grounds related areas.
C. coursework or vocational training in horticulture or a closely related field.
i. twelve (12) semester hours = six (6) months
3. As required by the position to be filled, current license consistent with vehicles, machinery, and equipment that is routinely used in the general occupational area.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES (KSAs)
1. Knowledge of grounds maintenance equipment, machinery and hand and power tools, including their designs, uses, maintenance, and repairs.
2. Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer services, including meeting quality standards for services and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
3. Ability to add, subtract, multiply, or divide quickly and correctly.
4. Ability to perform general physical activities required by the job.
5. Ability to communicate effectively in both oral and written form.
6. Ability to read and understand information and ideas presented in writing.
7. Ability to manage one’s own time and to complete tasks in a timely manner.